The Lost Truro Ground

Truro

 (Shoreham Street, Sheffield)

Directly south of Sheffield’s city centre, just inside the inner ring -road is yet another of the city’s many lost football grounds, the Truro Ground.

In 1874, local silversmiths, Atkin Brothers used the open space yards away from their Truro Works premises to form a football team called Atkin Brothers FC. The ground they used was named after Atkin’s Truro Works on the opposite side of Matilda Street.

Other clubs such as Good Intent FC used the ground also during 1874 to play other local clubs such as Mount Tabor FC, Ebenezer Reform FC, White Star FC, and Young Broomhall FC,

In January 1875 Good Intent FC played Harold FC. The Harold team included the soon to become England International Billy Mosforth. In 1874 Mosforth was officially a Sheffield Albion FC player. Turning out for Harold FC was possibly an early example of latent professionalism creeping into the game. It wasn’t unusual for good players such as Mosforth to take some form of ‘compensation’ for playing for another club. Harold FC themselves were one of the clubs that regularly played at the ground. They played Norton Mount View there in March 1875.

The Truro ground (or field) was also used for cricket during the summer months. Cricket clubs such as Albert & Upper Chapel play during 1874. During May 1875 Good Intent played White Star & Bush’s club at cricket at the ground.

The Truro ground was still in use during the late 1870’s. Wild Myrtle FC used the ground for football up to 1878. Good Intent still played cricket, but I could find no football match reports in the late 1870’s for Good Intent FC. You must conclude that by 1879 the area was lost to The Phoenix Works at its south end and housing across the rest of the ground space. Short lived but still yet another piece of Sheffield’s incredible sporting heritage we must not forget.

 

Do you have more information about this that we could add? Are any of the facts wrong? Please get in touch if so.

Source: Steve Wood
Translate »