Sheffield Home of Football became a registered Charity on 21st August 2023 with a new board of trustees and the aim of establishing Sheffield’s first Footballing Heritage Museum and also to celebrate the city’s proud football heritage. The ‘Sheffield Home of Football’ project has already successfully organised the following events:
- Created a Football Heritage walking app -with 1200+ downloads
- Held a Football Treasures Day at Sheffield Central Library attended by 2,000 people; opened by the BBC’s Dan Walker and curated by historian Martin Westby
- Installed a commemorative plaque at the grave of Sheffield FC’s founder – Nathaniel Creswick
- Organised a Centenary celebration of John Shaw’s life at Hallam FC’s Sandygate ground
- Presented Sheffield’s heritage credentials at the Annual International Football History Conference in Manchester.
We ran our own football festival and here is the Heritage Lottery Fund’s video of the event showing Sheffield’s historical importance to the modern game of football. This is ITV’s coverage of the schools playing by the historical rules.